Are you looking for an exciting position that will help you grow your skills as an outdoor professional? Edwards YMCA Camp is looking for motivated people to join our staff of Program Specialists for the 2019-2020 school year.
As a program specialist you will have the opportunity to learn about all of the aspects of an Outdoor Education/Retreat Facility. Most of your time will be spent working with the varied groups that visit our facilities (Schools, Youth Groups, Churches, Adult Retreats, etc.). After learning how the program works then you will have the opportunity work behind the scenes with our office staff to plan and facilitate group visits, attend pre-camp school visits, and help design new class activities.
During the winter times when the program slows down slightly we take time to attend trainings, workshops, and conferences to build skills and network throughout the camping/outdoor education world.
You are our ideal candidate if you have experience in either a residential camp or outdoor education facility, love working in the outdoors, and are looking for a great place to grow their skills while contributing to an awesome program.
Compensation includes optional health insurance, semi-private (individual bedrooms) housing while employed, meals while groups are on site, YMCA Membership, and $60 per day worked, planning on a 5-day work week.
If you are interested in joining this team of dedicated professionals please email Ali Eisenman email@example.com and Mike Rutenbar firstname.lastname@example.org a copy of your resume and a little about yourself and why you are interested in this job. We will be conducting interviews both in person and over the phone over the month of June and July.
The position starts August 19th and runs until Mid-June 2020.
- Facilitate programming for environmental education, team building (including climbing wall, high ropes, low ropes course, and low level initiatives), and retreat programs
- Assist Program Directors in communication with groups before, during, and after stay at camp.
- Take a lead role for the upkeep and maintenance of environmental education, team building, and retreat program areas and equipment
- Work with the Environmental Education Director to assist in the development and care of Lakeside Nature Center
- Develop a proposal for activities at learning stations
- Education animal care (Snakes, Lizards, Frogs, Turtles, Salamanders, and Spiders)
- Assembly and setup of displays/activities for Lakeside
PROGRAM PREPARATION AND IMPLEMENTATION:
- Act as a liaison to visiting school and groups and facilitate their visit
- Provide a friendly, professional atmosphere for chaperones, students, and other visitors
- Implement Edwards’ program and lead high quality environmental education, team building, and outdoor education classes
- Prepare/set out/ put away lesson equipment for group
- Maintain neat and accurate records of visiting groups
- Responsible for facilitating meals and dining-hall procedures
- Keep program directors aware of group and programmatic needs and recommend improvements when appropriate
PROGRAM AREA AND FACILITY UPKEEP:
- Responsible for the upkeep of program areas and all program equipment
- Maintain trails
- Responsible for cabins cleaning and facilities are properly shut down
- Work as a member of Edwards’ team, providing support to other staff/departments as needed & time permits including maintenance, office staff, camp keeping, and food service.
- Follow and promote the mission of Edwards YMCA Camp and the Mission of the YMCA.
- Report concerns/needs to program directors and the appropriate department in professional/expedient manner.
- Learn all safety concerns at camp so as to be able to deal with a situation or emergency.
- Other Duties as Assigned
- Attend training and site visits as provided/scheduled
- Set up and work toward personal and career goals.
- Discuss ideas and concerns with program directors and other staff to make things run smoothly.
- Advise program directors of areas where you would like to learn more