Are you looking for an exciting position that will help you grow your skills as an outdoor professional? Edwards YMCA Camp is looking for several motivated people to join our staff of Program Specialists. The position starts mid-March 2019 and runs throughout the 2019-2020 school year with employment in the summer if you are interested.
Program Specialists here at Edwards will have the opportunity to work in all the aspects of an Outdoor Education/Retreat Facility. They will spend most of the time working with our varied groups that come to our facilities (Schools, Youth Groups, Churches, Adult Retreats, etc.). Program Specialists will also have the opportunity to work behind the scenes with our office staff to plan and facilitate group visits along with helping with projects through our maintenance department and light cleaning of camp property. They will also have the opportunity to attend trainings throughout the year to build skills and network throughout the outdoor education and/or camping fields.
The ideal candidate will have experience in either a residential camp or outdoor education facility, love working in the outdoors, and are looking for a great place to grow their skills while contributing to an awesome program.
Compensation includes semi-private (individual bedrooms) housing while employed, meals while groups are on site, YMCA Membership, and $60 per day worked, planning on a 5 day work week. Aflac is offered at a group rate as well.
If you are interested in joining this team of dedicated professionals please email Ali Eisenman firstname.lastname@example.org and Mike Rutenbar email@example.com a copy of your resume and a little about yourself and why you are interested in this job. We will be conducting interviews both in person and over the phone the first couple weeks in march.
- Facilitate programming for environmental education, team building (including climbing wall, high ropes, low ropes course, and low level initiatives), and retreat programs
- Assist Program Directors in communication with groups before, during, and after stay at camp.
- Has a lead role for the upkeep and maintenance of environmental education, team building, and retreat program areas and equipment
- Work with the Environmental Education Director to assist in the development and care of Lakeside Nature Center
- Develop a proposal for activities at learning stations
- Education animal care (Snakes, Lizards, Frogs, Turtles, Salamanders, and Spiders)
- Assembly and setup of displays/activities for Lakeside
PROGRAM PREPARATION AND IMPLEMENTATION:
- Act as a liaison to visiting school and groups, facilitate their visit
- Provide friendly, professional atmosphere for chaperones, students, and other visitors
- Implement Edwards’ program and lead high quality environmental education, team building, and outdoor education classes
- Prepare/set out/ put away lesson equipment for group
- Maintain neat and accurate records of visiting groups
- Responsible for facilitating meals and dining-hall procedures
- Responsible for distribution and collection of final count sheets and evaluations
- Responsible for completing at least one special project per season; i.e. lesson plans or interpretive displays
- Keep program directors aware of group and programmatic needs and recommend improvements when appropriate
PROGRAM AREA AND FACILITY UPKEEP:
- Responsible for the upkeep of program areas and all program equipment
- Maintain/ organize Program Office and I’m Third Room
- Maintain trails
- Responsible for seeing that the cabins are thoroughly and properly cleaned after use and facilities are properly shut down
- Work as a member of Edwards’ team, providing support to other staff/departments as needed & time permits including maintenance, office staff camp keeping, and food service.
- Follow and promote the mission of Edwards YMCA Camp and the Mission of the YMCA.
- Report concerns/needs to program directors and the appropriate department in professional/expedient manner.
- Learn all safety concerns at camp so as to be able to deal with a situation or emergency.
- Other Duties as Assigned
- Attend training and site visits as provided/scheduled
- Set up and work toward personal and career goals.
- Discuss ideas and concerns with program directors and other staff to make things run smoothly.
- Advise program directors of areas where you would like to learn more